Saturday, December 15, 2007

Moving Again!

I'd start this out by saying what move number this is going to be, but to be honest, after 30, you just quit counting. I'm sitting here typing rather than pack anything else. Due to an unexpected trip to Philadelphia on December 27Th we are now packing and moving by next Saturday. UGH!!!

We are going to move in with Kristy and William next Saturday. Actually, on Monday we are taking the first loads over. They will include mainly the furniture they will now get. My friend Heath, from Sports Authority told me today that he could help us move on Monday, so Monday it is. William is off that day too, so we should be able to knock out the heaviest stuff then. I am selling my wall unit, and Heath has agreed to store it in his garage until I either sell it or move again. He's been a great friend through all of this. His kids are close in age to the grand kids, so they all play well together.

This is my last night of rest for awhile. Tomorrow I need to pack everything in Tricia's room, the desk stuff, move the computer and disassemble the wall unit after packing its contents. All of this reminds me of the many moves we've had in the past. Dan was the master truck packer, so I'm sure we will miss not having him there.

This all made me think of the first inter-country move Dan and I had. We were moving from Spain to England. We had all of 30 boxes to our name. We found a cute two bedroom apartment in New Market, England. It was perfect and the location of the famous Thanksgiving dinner I wrote about earlier. The movers came right after Dan left for work that morning. They had everything in the house in just over an hour. It would have gone faster but there was a tea break in there. I remember closing the door and turning around to what looked like so much stuff. 30 boxes! Now I laugh ... 30 boxes.

I opened each box putting everything exactly where I wanted it to go. By mid afternoon I was ready to call Dan to tell him it was looking like "home" in our apartment. Just then the phone rang. It was Dan. "Hey, don't rush to unpack, we're moving to base housing. " I plopped down on the stairs and began to tell him how proud and excited I was to have unpacked everything. He just laughed and said welcome to the Air Force. We were in the apartment for three months and then moved to base housing. You have to laugh!

So here I sit, 32 years later, moving again. It's more boxes now, but it's also without Dan. I'm already hearing him telling me how to pack things and how to disassemble furniture. He's here with us, and he's making sure all goes well. I'll update you on the move itself next weekend. For all of you who are married and reading this, remember your first move together? You have to smile. It was the start of something new and great. This will be right for us too. I'm just so grateful the kids have room for us and are being so helpful.

Family, where would you be without them?

2 comments:

bevan le penguin said...

darling, i seem to have lost your phone number. please email it to me? bevanthepenguin@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thank God for William and Kristy. We'll just have to keep praying to Dan and Jerry that they help us both find jobs in 2008. KEEP SMILING !!