Thursday, December 13, 2007

Stars and Clouds


For years I've loved to look at the stars and watch clouds. It opens your mind to see and imagine so many things.

Living away from our "families" as we did all our lives, I used to tell my nieces and nephews that if they missed me all they had to do was to look up at the stars and think of me. Wherever I was in the world, I would see the same stars and think of them. Now you may think that was just something clever to say to a child, but it was a real statement to me. Nearly every night of my life I look to the stars and think of people in my life. Sometimes I cry at missing people so much, other times it makes me think of a special memory and I just smile. Dan used to laugh at me because I would go out in the pool at night, in the dark of course. I'd float on my back, looking at the stars and thinking of family. He knew that if I missed someone I'd be thinking of them. I might be "moody" for a few days, but it was my way of staying close to everyone.

Stars were great at night, but sometimes you think of people during the day too. So I began watching the clouds. You can see so much in them. They can calm you, warn you of trouble ahead, or give you direction to see something that brings back a great memory. There were a lot of times when what I saw in those clouds told a real story. For example: We were on our way to Mom Haynes' funeral, from Florida heading to Ohio. Somewhere over Georgia we took a picture of the clouds because what we saw just blew us away. In the clouds, if you look close, you can see faces. We each saw different things, but we all knew we saw something pretty amazing. I'm adding that picture to this blog for you to decide. I saw Dan waiting, arms open, to meet his Mom. I saw Christs' face, as I imagine it. You decide what you see.

At night, when I couldn't always see the stars because it was cloudy, I decided that beyond those clouds would be my family and friends, and for that night I had to close my eyes, imagine, and remember them all. And I did.

Now it's a regular part of swimming with Zamma to take a few minutes, rest your head on my shoulder as you float on your back, and look at the clouds together. We've seen everything from Mickey Mouse to a mean gorilla (LOL), but the best part is, when I hear "Zamma can we look at the clouds now?" I love it...

Every night I look for my Dan star now. He's there, watching all of us, knowing I'm looking for him every night. And if clouds get in the way I know that's just him covering over us to protect us until morning. Take a minute to look at the clouds or the stars. You'd be amazed what you can see, and even more amazed at what you think about while looking!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue -
I do the exact same thing with the stars..everynight before I go to bed, I take the dog out to do "her business" and I look at the stars. I too have stars picked out for Dan, Mom & Dad. It is amazing how comforting it can be!

Kristy said...

I love this picture!!!