Today marks the one year date for the worst life changing event I ever experienced, other than death. To be truthful, I felt like a part of me died that day. You see, one year ago today I was officially homeless. It was Tricia and I, living in our car...
From November, 2007, until late August 3rd, Tricia and I were living with various relatives and friends. I'd lost my job in November 2007, right before Christmas. To top it all off, the company I worked at set it up so I didn't get unemployment. Basically, I had bills, my daughter, no income, no place to go...
When I first created this blog I decided to use it to make sure that memories would be something I would try to show others how to cherish. Never was I planning on having so many negative memories become a part of this. But they are important. Life had another plan...
The day we were left homeless I made several promises, both to myself and to Tricia. First, I would NEVER forget that day. There was so much anger in me I was afraid of my own emotions. So I made Tricia a promise. Some how, some way, I knew God was not going to punish us for doing the right thing. I promised her that one year from that day, our life was going to be better. I promised her we would not be homeless, we would not live in fear, and we would never forget the feelings we were feeling that day. Those feelings were what was going to keep me focused on our future. It was going to be only about the two of us, that was all we had left, surviving and changing the future in so many ways.
Living in a car in Florida in August is far from pleasant. To say it was hot is such an understatement. With $2.12 to our name and 6 days until payday, we were going to have to go through hell. But hope was going to be on the other side. I promised Tricia we would have a home of our own in one year. I promised her I'd have a job that would sustain us. I promised myself I wouldn't give up. That would be too easy. Honestly, if Tricia hadn't been in my life then, I don't know where I'd be now. She became my only reason to carry on.
By the end of August the plans were set up to get into a house. Thank God for the friends who took us in for awhile. They understood the situation and will never be forgotten for how they were there for us. Not just with what little financial assistance they had, but because they taught me who really cares, and who just says they care. I mattered to them and so did Tricia. We weren't just trash to be thrown out in the street and forgotten. Most importantly, they didn't lie to me. Those memories are emblazoned in my mind and will go to my grave with me. I WILL NOT FORGET!
By September we were in a house. My part time job picked up. Yes, there were weeks when ten dollars was all we had, but together we made it. November gave us another financial blow, but as I said before, I'll never forget. We had a very poor Christmas, gift-wise, when you speak of material things. But one thing happened that Christmas that I will never forget. A very elderly, dear friend of ours gave us a table top Christmas tree. She told us the story of how she was given one when she was young, going through some rough times. She said that tree was her reminder of the rough times and her celebration of how much better her life became. We took it home, decorated it, and remembered... every time we looked at it. Some days it made me cry, others it made me hopeful. Christmas eve, Tricia and I sat in our room, with our tree lit, and just thanked God for all he had already done for us. We felt hope...
January first we woke to some long awaited good news via an email. Things began to turn around. That little table-top Christmas tree was working hard! I had two jobs and we were beginning to get on our feet. Since then, things have continued to improve. I've re-payed many of the people who were there to help us when we had nothing. There are still two people left to repay. Then we are caught up. It will happen. I have hope...
Recently I've had so many memories running through my head. Five years ago I had just finished chemo from my second type of cancer. Dan didn't even know he was sick. The eight people we lost that year were all still here...
But today it's a different world. We are sometimes bored with how simple our lives have become. But never a day goes by that I don't thank God for all He's given us. Most of all he taught me humility and understanding. He taught me what real friends are. He taught me who I can trust and who I cannot. He taught me to be thankful every day, just for being alive. Now I pray He can teach me to forgive. I still haven't been able to do that very well. But I'm working on it.
And yes, wherever we are this Christmas, our Christmas tree will be with us...
Monday, August 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I will never forget that day either. I will always remember that Christmas tree!!
~Tricia
You girls are true "survivors" in my book. I am truly surprised in what you have been through and have accomplished. Keep smiling, somebody up above is watching out for you.
Post a Comment