Sunday, June 14, 2009

PT. 5 - And Then There's the Food...

OK, take a minute and think back to some of your favorite vacations. Food... there's always a ton of good food. This trip was definitely no exception. Not being a very good cook, I was worried if I'd do OK with my contributions, but everything was sooooo good.

As I said earlier, everyone cooks at least one meal for the entire group. We all bring munchies to share, and the kitchen island usually ends up the mass munchies stash. We all bring what we want for breakfast, and the rest is just history...

We feasted on everything you can imagine. It's an unofficial tradition that Mary makes a delicious ham, too large of course, but intentional so we have plenty for ham sandwiches for lunch. From the ham dinner, to a pot roast, chicken and ribs, and a lesson for everyone on how to crack snow crab, there was always something great to feast on. Our Luau was a blast, the steaks were perfect guys (our grill chefs), and Steve and Lisa even decided to make us all brunch one day! Truth be told, TUMS was everyone's favorite at one time or another, as we all ate, and ate, and ate...

There are some snacks we had on this trip that will stay in our minds as great memories. Tricia brought a huge (and I mean huge) container of cheese balls. Watch for that thing in the pictures! We also "had to eat" the giant bags of M&Ms and the enormous can of mixed nuts. Hey, it's a vacation, right? Name a chip... we had it there... Slim Jims, caramels, cookies, pretzel logs, fudge, and let's not forget Jeremy's special S'Mores. He's the Master at them! But of course Auntie Suzie had to create a special OBX drink... hehehe... Thank God this vacation was only two weeks or we'd all be waddling home!

The meals didn't have to be fancy, and we were all plenty hungry by dinner time. We'd get up and do "our thing" during the day, and just as asked, everyone enjoyed dinner as a group. Being a part of both familys there, we wondered how everyone would get along, or if anyone would feel left out. Not a chance. What a perfect vacation group! We all spent most dinners not only eating ourselves silly, but laughing 'til we hurt. (Ask Marcia to tell you the head joke.) I loved seeing everyone talking and laughing as if we were one huge family. Tricia and I felt so blessed to be a part of this group. It was funny to see how everyone chose their seats at the dinner table. Once we chose them, they became "our" seats. Jeremy had one end of the table, and I had the other. Sitting there put me in the middle, but made me feel so good to see everyone's faces and smiles during ever single meal. I loved seeing two sides of our family become one. After we'd say grace at each meal, I found myself saying that extra "thank you" for helping all of us come together. In my head I'd hear Makenzie saying her "God's neat, let's eat" prayer.

You know Lord, you made some truly amazing people... Thank you for this vacation...


1 comment:

Kevin, Isabella, Jennifer Kramer said...

Glad everyone had such a nice time. I know my parents raved about everything, especially the food! Let's talk this week about meeting up on Saturday, July 11 for lunch.