Monday, April 20, 2009

Save a Memory With a Drawing

Did I ever mention how proud I am of my granddaughters? This past weekend was about making new memories and putting them on paper. When I was a child I loved to sketch and draw. I couldn't afford much paper so I drew on anything that I could. I did quite a good job back then, winning several art competitions. As I loved to create, I thought this would be a fun thing to share with the girls. My memory lesson to my granddaughters: let's go exploring and see what we can draw.

Off to the park we all went. Kristy and Dannen walked with Tricia and me, while the girls blazed the artistic trail ahead. Dannen got bored quickly so he just snoozed away in the stroller.


I really recommend doing this with kids. They love it! As we were on a nature trail, there was plenty to see. It became a game to see who could point out what to draw next. I can't believe how observant those girls became. Because the sidewalk was curvy, it became the "Snake Trail". We drew so many things along the way. Every few feet we would stop to draw whatever new things we found.
Kaylie found a cool log next to the trail, which Makenzie decided was the perfect spot to stop and pose for a picture. Nice log, ehh?


Artists have to learn to draw wherever they are, even if it means nothing to sit on. Kaylie really got into the details of the drawing fun. Being in Florida meant we heard lots of sounds in the tropical trees along the trail. Makenzie said she heard a monkey. We never found it though. Kaylie found lots of plants and trees that we "had" to stop and draw.


Makenzie liked the big lake and even drew three big fish swimming in it! She drew their log and palm tree too!


Kaylie got more detailed than Malenzie. She drew the "Snake Trail", the special log, trees, a bird, the lake, and a No Swimming sign she found near the lake.


These drawings stay in the sketch books for future reference. We plan to do more drawing expeditions so we can fill our books. I love how the whole event made them not only look at was around them, but listen for the tropical jungle sounds and just all have fun together. Memories don't always cost a lot to create. This one will stay with me forever. At the end of our drawing walk was a fun time on the playground followed by swimming at Zamma's house. Maybe next time we'll draw what we found by the pool? Hmmm...

1 comment:

saintk said...

You're absolutley right,Sue, memories don't have to cost a lot. Your grandkids are going to grow up with lots of memories thanks to you and Tricia.