Sunday, November 16, 2008

Watching the Last Night Launch...

Talk about bringing back memories! I can remember being at Edwards AFB, CA right after Kristy was born, and watching the first shuttle landing in the desert. We were all mesmerised by the event, knowing we had just witnessed history being made. After the landing we took Kristy, a little baby at the time, and went to see a display of an actual shuttle. It was amazing to me to see the famous "tiles" that cover the out side of the shuttle. They looked like they were about a foot thick! Dan and I stood there with Kristy and talked about how we wished she was old enough to remember that moment. We never realised she would be living so near the Space Center when she got older.

FLASH FORWARD ALMOST 30 YEARS! Tricia, Kristy, Makenzie and I decided to go watch what may be the final night Space Shuttle launch ever. It's one of those things you can't imagine, you just have to see. We wanted Makenzie to have a memory of this special night, so off we all went.

It was a short drive to the beach to find a good viewing spot. That's funny actually, because anywhere you are you can see a night launch. When the shuttle blasts off, it literally turns the night sky to day. It's so amazing! I can remember taking sisters, brothers, in-laws, nieces, nephews, and parents to see launches when they were here. I wonder who remembers them?

When we arrived, Makenzie and I decided to go exploring until launch time.

We found a "secret sidewalk" that no one else was on, and decided that was the perfect spot to start our exploration. As we walked along, Makenzie stopped to touch beach grass. I said close your eyes and touch it, it tickles!

The moon was hiding in the grass.


When we got back to the car, Makenzie had a Star Wars moment and showed us all how Yoda looked. (Even his funny eyes.)

Tricia had a birds eye view out the car window.

It was time for the launch to start. Makenzie was so excited!

Blast off! (We are about 20 miles from the actual launch site.)

Heading up!

Entering the clouds...

Good luck Space Shuttle. Stay safe!

Space shuttle on the left, moon on the right!

I try to imagine what Makenzie will remember of the launch. Even more wondrous is what she may be showing her children 30 years from now. I hope she tells them the story of her first night launch, even if it may be the last night launch ever...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girls!! That's a night you'll never forget. The pictures turned out beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wish I'd been there with you gals ... something that we may not be able to do again!

I'm THINKING about going to D.C. on 1/20 ... just to be in the crowd at the swearing in of a US President ... wanna meet me there??

Carol Ann

Kevin, Isabella, Jennifer Kramer said...

WOW! I would have loved to seen it. Thanks for sharing your experience. Love you!