Patience... a lesson I'm sure God has been trying to teach me since I was born... patience...
Remember being excited about getting to go somewhere special as a kid? You know that feeling you get that somehow time is controlled by someone somewhere and they slow it down when you are waiting to be able to do something fun or start something new? Patience...
I used to get that feeling every year on the day before school started. I was so anxious to get started. Summer was fun, but after the first week it got boring. What about going to visit someone? It seemed like forever before the day would finally get there and you could go. Then that person controlling time would speed it up while you were gone. Poof, the trip was over so fast! Patience...
I remember waiting for our orders to go to a new country or base when we were with the military. They would ask you as far out as year before you left, where you wanted to go. We'd plan that dream sheet out, hoping we'd get one of our choices. Then came the time to wait and see where you'd end up.. It was "living limbo" as the GIs called it. You don't want to invest too much in new clothes because you may buy winter stuff and end up in the desert, etc. You held off on any new furniture so the movers wouldn't ruin it in the move. Finally the day would come when you heard where you would be going next. Then the wait changed to when do we leave? Patience...
What about buying your first home? Paperwork out your ears needed to be filed to qualify and get the ball rolling. When we built our first home it was so exciting. we had to pick doors, cabinets, carpet, tile, you name it. Just seeing the vacant lot get graded was exciting! Each step in the buliding process seemed to drag except the day the exterior walls went up. One day you have a slab, the next day your walls are up. You could finally begin to visualise it all. You would get over excited and want to start buying things for the inside. Slow it down! Patience...
What about applying for college or school? All the paperwork again! Where do I go? Do I get far away, maybe just far enough away, or do I want to hang out closer to home? What school? The whole process is overwhelming. Then you hear if you got the scholarship and the school of choice. Got to prep for the move! Patience...
What about applying for a great job? You see an opening in a company you'd really love to work for. Do you qualify? Can you do this job? Whether it's your first job or your fifth, the process is the same. You fill out all the paperwork and wait. You get the interview and wait. You get the call and... wait. Patience...
Here's where I am 53 years into playing this life game. I'm still not good at it. I still need more patience. If one more person says "you've got it", "everything happens for a reason", or "you're almost there"... Patience...
Last week I had a panel review with Kmart. You know me, I say what's on my mind. When speaking with the VP of the company I talked about a program we had at my last job and how we made it very successful. Then he said "Maybe we should have you be the District Director of the Smart Card Program." Whatever, just let me start work and start getting paid. I'm broke! I can do any job you put in front of me and do it well. So let's get started already! Patience...
Now they are deciding if they want me as a Store Coach (manager) in DC (District Coach)training or if I'm going to be the District Director of the Smart Card Program. I was quoted my pay for the Store Coach, but not yet for the Smart Card, although it would be "significantly higher". Hello! I'm broke! I need to work! I need... patience...
I will update you when I hear what comes next, when it starts and where we will be moving. Please pray for more patience...
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aunt Sue, I can totally relate to what you're talking about. I've been told my whole life that I'm inpatient! At this point in my life, I don't aruge...I agree. I don't understand how one person can have all the patience in the world and the next person, being me, having none?!
This was a great post! I know you're sick of hearing this, but it's in the bag. Just a matter of waiting or as you would say.....patience! :-)
I love you and good luck, I keep you in my thoughts!
i love you, dear. patience is a great thing. :)
Post a Comment