

Remember when you were a kid and your parents would introduce you to some new relatives? Meet so and so , he's your cousin from your Dad's side twice removed. What??? What did you do to get removed twice? Did it hurt? Where have you been until now? Who are you really?
I was thinking back on the times when we had to introduce our kids to new relatives. Heck, half the time I didn't even know some of them. You'd think your spouses family would be the ones you didn't know, but when they were from your side you felt really stupid. I remember meeting my cousins, the Surings, when we were little. They were four girls and an Aunt and Uncle. Nice people. But for some reason we were "kissing cousins". What the heck is that? We would always give kisses and hugs when we said goodbye, but we did that with most relatives. Here's an interesting fact abut kissing cousins: Kissing cousins are third cousins. This kissing bit came about because the law says you cannot marry anyone unless they are third cousins or further out. Hence, the third cousins were allowed to kiss by law. Now that's a bit of wisdom for your memory banks!
Anyway, this is really all about meeting more new relatives just this past few weeks. I have a new niece Hollyn Haynes who is absolutely adorable. But I also got to meet my other new nieces Kristia and Kairstin. What a nice family. Brian and Chris have a big family now, but they are all so good together. I loved to see them all smiling. Good family!
Now I miss all my other nieces and nephews. It's so hard, because being in the military or living out of state really robs you of time with them. We got nice photos of most of them for the holidays, which helps fill that empty spot. I'll have to get back to work so I can save for more trips to see family.
1 comment:
Frankly I never understood the 2nd cousin vs. the once removed stuff. If you can reference that....
Anyway, thanks for spending part of the holidays with us--it was very nice having you and Tricia and Mary and Steve stay for a while. The kids all had fun--you guys were great sports as we dragged you around the area! Too bad about the cold and dreary---yesterday and today has been near 70!! Talk to you soon....
Post a Comment